Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Treat

Good morning! I hope everyone had a fabulous Halloween. It was really cold and rainy around Michigan so we just took our little 9 month old who was dressed up as an elephant and went to my parents house. It's fun to see everyone dressed up in cute little costumes!
Every year I try to make some kind of different little treat to pass out to my nieces, nephews and neighbors instead of just candy. When I was teaching preschool one of my parents made these yummy cake pops and I just had to try to re-create them. She made us pumpkin flavored ones but for the kids I wanted to make something that I knew they would like. Who doesn't like yellow cake right? So I googled on-line how to make them and from many different sites they made the cake the same basic way with just a box of cake mix and then half a container of frosting. From there I decided to put my own twist on things. So I used these little cardboard tubes that I had around the house since I never made it to the store to buy the real sticks. They worked just fine.

Here are the supplies that I used:
Instead of using styrofoam to hold the sticks upright after you dip them in the melted chocolate I used and old egg carton. It worked just as well.


After I mixed the cake and frosting I made little balls out of it. I put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the fridge for about an hour. Instead of using candy bark or any other chocolate that was specifically made for melting I used white chocolate chips and melted them in a bowl with a tbsp or so of shortening. Not knowing how it would work I was happy with the results. After I dipped the balls in the melted chocolate I added three chocolate chips to make it look like a ghost. I let it harden and then wrapped it in plastic wrap, added a tag that said, "Have a "boo"tiful Halloween", and tied it with a ribbon. The kids loved them.

Here is the finished cake pop:

 
Linked up to:
 

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat idea! They're so cute!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete